09 April 2010

European music in Beirut

It all started in Nuweiba Egypt with someone explaining me what was the morris dance "ah, Pauliteiros a' inglesa!". Or with bells. I like Portuguese style Pauliteiros better! Someone played Egyptian Harp there (but that's not european).
In Jordan French friends sang French music: Ferre, Brassens, Trenet, Brel and many others. Then someone asked me about Jose Afonso and sent me to Germany from Bella Ciao to Die Moorsoldaten, by Hannes Wader and then to Reinhard Mey (Sergio Godinho mixed with Paco Bandeira).
Then the Norwegian showed me Jose Gonzalez.
Then a musician came with Jazz and Debussy.
Then another French came and brought Serge Gainsburg with Je t'aime or event better Sea, Sex and Sun hahahaha
All this happened not far from Beirut and this amazing Al Habibinoni.
All this happened in places like these:

beirut

aleppo8

No comments: