21 April 2010

11/4 Antep, Turkey

From Syria to Turkey, in Gaziantep, Southeastern Turkey, Europe becomes sudendly very close and the Arabs are gone. This is the land of the Turks, of Ataturk, the greatest Turkish leader.

It's something travelers do a lot while traveling, they go for the adventure and then all they do is complaining about the situation, either late trains, inefficient service or disgusting places. I don't do it so much but well, it's Turkey, and it looks so good and European that, as a typical traveler, I started expecting more than they had to offer...
I ended up in a 3 stars hotel in (Gazi) Antep. Nobody speaks a word of English here. The guy at the bar can't tell me if the white powder is sugar or salt. The receptionist is the best, not only he doesn't speak a word of English whatsoever, he is also really bad with sign language. So, when he told me where to get a bus to the airport he kept talking in Turkish and couldn't even point me the direction on the road. "But is it to the left or to the right" I asked moving my hands around. He replied with no body movements, only one word... turkish. I asked how much was the bus and I did the money sign with my fingers. Again he replied in Turkish and no body movements. I started doing numbers with my fingers but he didnt understand... finally another guy shouted... twenty!
Then, there is the Fireman. He is in his sixties. He came to Antep to do a Management course. He is from somewhere else. He is the Chief Fireman in the Airport of another Turkish city.
At night I walk around and I get into a bar where again, no one speaks a word of English (they couldn't even say numbers like 4 or 5), the music is live and they play Turkish music... but it sounds Greek to me... I guess I will handle that problem later, visiting Turkey with Greek references...

Plans and Nihazov
After deciding that I will visit Iran (and probably the north of Iraq), I am currently deciding how will I get to China: flying from Tehran or crossing central asian Istans. I don't like flying but visas are expensive and hard (or at least long) to get. The first Istan would be Turquemenistan. Niyazov and his surreal book and history make me want to go there (see this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saparmurat_Niyazov, the fact list is incredible).

Second World countries
In Egypt, the landscape and the beachs are good but I didn't like the people (just like Marocco). Jordan, Palestine, Syria and Lebanon were amazing. I have this bad feeling about Turks... Let me explain... I have the same reaction with Turkish people as I have with Portuguese people, it's the second world and I can't avoid expecting them to be in the first world. Develop! Develop! Now!
For me it works the same way with people, I do accept some people as inapt or simply limited (especially elder people) but I get inpatient with limited young people: think! The same goes for Syria (accepted limited elder) and Turkey and Portugal (limited young people): let's move on people!!! I have to go back to the thrid world... to the place I accept things as they are... and I accept myself as I am... limited... and still young...

Nice people
I am tired of meeting nice people everywhere. Tired of people using "sympathy" as the big major factor to judge someone else. Tired of inapt nice people. Inapt as in inefficient and stupid. I am always happy to meet rough people, instigate them to play, play around and conquer them. It's a new rule of thumb: time should be spent getting to know rough (or unordinary) people instead of babling around with "nice" people. I know this is a dangerous reasoning but again I am tired of being nice... my way inside must be a rough way.
The cloudy and windy picture of the Syrian/Turkish border matches this post's mood.

No comments: